Appeal for 89 missing Cadiz fishermen
BACOLOD CITY—Sen. Richard Gordon Wednesday called on the Coast Guard, the Navy and ships to exert more effort in searching for fishermen from Cadiz City still missing at sea.
“It is scandalous and alarming that we don’t care enough for the small fishermen. They are honest people who work hard to get food on the table for lots of people,” said Gordon, who visited Cadiz to see what assistance could be provided.
As of Wednesday, there were 41 dead fishermen who have been identified and seven others unidentified, and 89 others missing from 35 Cadiz vessels hit by Typhoon “Frank” (international codename: Fengshen) on June 21.
“I have heard reports of some vessels just passing floating bodies, and even survivors, in the past. They should pick them up. It is a crime not to do so,” Gordon said.
He said only the missing from big vessels were getting all the attention, and that the small fishermen were practically being ignored.
“There should be equal focus,” he said.
Gordon, who heads the Philippine National Red Cross, said the PNRC had been helping in the search for the Cadiz fishermen and providing stress debriefing to enable their families to cope.
Those who are most in need and most vulnerable should be given assistance, too, he said.
Gordon appeals for 89 missing Cadiz fishermen
By Carla Gomez
First Posted 06:21:00 07/03/2008