"What this Country needs is not a change OF men but a change IN men" March 1980

Sunday, January 03, 2010

10 Principles for Success in 2010

Asked how ordinary Filipinos can improve their lot in life, Sen. Dick Gordon, who has enjoyed a fruitful and accomplished life, shares his key principles for career and financial success:

  1. Be ambitious. Umaasa tayo lagi sa tulong. Kahit anong hirap mo, you have to be ambitious. Being ambitious is not negative.

  1. Have the right work ethic. Bawal ang tamad. Lalong bawal ang tanga. Manage by objective. Instead of a quick fix or instant gratification, practice delayed gratification. We should go for meritocracy. Hindi palakasan. Palakasan pa rin dito.

  1. Learn a skill. Poverty is an absence of choice. That’s why you have to continue learning. You have to learn a skill. I never tell people “good luck.” I always tell them “good skill.” Be creative. Nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa. God gave you skills. God will not help you if you don’t help yourself.

  1. Work, save, invest, and prosper. You have to work. Address your needs but always save. Get into a business. Get life insurance or a personal accident insurance kung `yun lang ang kaya mo. We need a provident fund especially for our OFWs. We have 11 million Filipinos abroad. You put them and our people here in a provident fund, we can prosper ourselves. Combine GSIS and SSS funds and come up with a provident fund, just like what Singapore did. People have to learn to save something.

  1. Help. Find extra time to help. Volunteer with the Red Cross. Kapag alam mong ginawa mo, bibiyaan ka. Helping others is a reward in itself.

  1. Lead by example. The Philippines would improve if it elects a leader who can inspire, able to communicate by word and deed, provides a vision, extracts values, and displays integrity. Demand from your leaders. Ask for their qualifications. Look for their record.

  1. Be independent. I had to fight big guys but I couldn’t tell my dad. He encouraged me to learn judo to protect myself. You have to learn to survive. You have to learn to stand your ground. Those guys who tried to bully me, I stood up to them.

  1. Learn from your mistakes. I learn from my mistakes. I learn from other people’s mistakes. There’s only one thing I can never learn: to be overly materialistic. I don’t pay the media to cover me. I don’t pay for my press releases. If my being straightforward is a mistake, that’s a mistake I’ll keep on repeating.

  1. Be assertive. We’re like makahiyas. We shouldn’t be. We shouldn’t be an adapting culture. We’re resilient but we don’t assert ourselves. We’re a happy people. That’s good psychology. We laugh at ourselves. We’re an accommodating culture. We shouldn’t be. We should live by the national anthem, by our oath.

  1. Make fear your friend. During the Mt. Pinatubo eruption, I told myself we’re not going to allow ourselves to die here. I prayed, “If you’re going to take me, take me. Please though, don’t make me look bad as I lead.” You must make fear your friend. 

    MONEYSENSE MAGAZINE [SIDEBAR]

    Sen. Richard Gordon’s 10 Principles for Success 
    By: Lynda C. Corpuz

12 Comments:

Blogger Welcome to Zzz said...

I just listened to Sen. Gordon speak at the Forum in Ayala Alabang. He shared many of these pointers and principles today and I just wanted to share how touched and inspired I was with what he shared with us. I can't wait to transform these words into action and start my year right. Thank you Senator!

9:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need more exposure in the media. If we want to win the elections, we need to be visible and consistently be in people's mind space. Hope Gordon will use his PR skills not just with the big boys, but this time, with the poor and the masses. Let's stay visible and relevant. Keep educating the people that there is a better choice. Gordon is our choice.

6:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will vote for you Sen Gordon. Your vision and positive attitude is what our country needs. Our people are now so pessimist and we need to change that attitude. Keep it going and I support you. By the way, I suggest you create a facebook account.

1:05 AM

 
Blogger Richard J. Gordon said...

FACEBOOK PAGE is Richard J. Gordon. Thanks.

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TEAMWORK is the key! Gordon-Bayani tandem is best out there with all those other candidates combined!

1:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we need a GOOD LEADER, GORDON is my only choice for that. . for all the shows that i had watched, i saw that there is someone who can answer the questions easily from the reporters and the students. do you know who is that someone? he is our choice, he is the GOOD LEADER. HE IS DICK GORDON!!!

2:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dick Gordon is my choice, he help me to finish my study he is the Mayor of Olongapo City at that time.

1:11 AM

 
Blogger manuel aler jr said...

PWEDE BA ALISIN MO MUNA LAHAT NG SQUATTER METRO MANILA CALABARZON, FIRST AND SECOND DISTRICT LAGUNA CALAMBA CITY LAGUNA LOS BANOS LAGUNA BAY LAGUNA, SAN PABLO CITY LAGUNA, CALAUAN LAGUNA, STA CRUZ LAGUNA PAGSANJAN LAGUNA QUEZON BICOL. PWEDE BA IRELOCATE MO MUNA SA PERMANENT RELOCATION PLACE COORDINATE KA NA SA NATIONAL HOUSING AUTHORITY PARA MAIRELOCATE NA AGAD SQUATTER. PWEDE BA BUKSAN BATAAN NUCLEAR PLANT IPASA MO MUNA CRIMINALIZATION SQUATTER.MANUEL ALER JR. HALANG CALAMBA CITY LAGUNA

3:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of your plataforma should be to create jobs in the philippines by attracting foreign investors in our country. to do this ,is to have a peace and order "real peace and order that will brings investors thus,will create hundreds if not thousands of jobs and so filipinos dont have to work in other countries with meager salaries and humiliations(one of the reasons why other countries look us inferior. We need to bring our working people home to contribute to our countries future.
I think Senator Gordon is the only one who has the guts and vision to accomlish it.

Pedong
supernavy1@yahoo.com

12:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dapat ba maging pangulo ng bansa kung wala naman pakialam sa pamilya

3:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I salute you Sen Dick Gordon. You give us an inspiration not to lose hope in this world we live in. God bless you.


KrisFerrer

8:55 PM

 
Blogger 柯云 said...

2015-12-18keyun
chanel bags
ugg boots sale
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ugg boots outlet
air max 90
nike running shoes for men
uggs boots for women
uggs on sale
ugg boots
hollister kids
ray-ban sunglasses
hollister jeans
air force 1 trainers
true religion jeans outlet
louis vuitton outlet
michaek kors outlet
cheap uggs sale
ugg boots outlet
jordan 11s
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
jordan 11 concord
instyler
gucci outlet
nike huarache white
ray ban outlet
coach outlet online
tory burch outlet
ugg outlet store
uggs for chea
cheap ray ban sunglasses
canada goose
oakley store
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
abercrombie & fitch
coach outlet
toms outlet
ray bans
fitflop clearance

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home